Hong Kong’s two major theme parks will be reopened imminently as a key step in rebooting an economy reeling from the triple whammy of social unrest, the US-China trade war and the coronavirus pandemic.
Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development Edward Yau Tang-wah revealed on Monday that Ocean Park will greet guests on Saturday for the first time since closing on January 26 amid the pandemic. The Disneyland resort on Lantau Island will also resume operations soon, though a specific date has not been released.
Additionally, conventions and trade shows – almost completely absent in the first half of this year due to the public health crisis – will stage a comeback in July, with the much-loved Hong Kong Book Fair leading the way, he said.
“We want to reboot the economy in the second half of this year through new initiatives in tourism, external trade and trade insurance services,” Yau said. “We are confident we will ride out the economic doldrums.”
Ocean Park, which last month received a cash injection of HK$5.4 billion (US$697 million) to stay afloat, will drop its entrance fee by 30 per cent for each adult visitor – to HK$350 – while offering free admission for children aged 11 or below and people aged 65 or above until the end of July.
In addition, the reduced adult ticket fees will be fully rebated in the form of cash vouchers for spending on food and gifts in the park.
Yau said while social-distancing rules might still restrict local tourism to a degree, the industry was putting measures in place to ensure public health. Current rules forbid public gatherings of larger than eight – including restaurant tables – until at least June 18.
Read original article