January 11, 2008: TripAdvisor recently conducted a survey of more than 2,500 travelers offering an outlook into travel for the new year. Highlights from the survey are provided below.
- 26 percent of travelers intend to be more environmentally conscious in their travel this year.
- 41 percent of Americans said the unfavorable exchange rates will either prevent them from going, or limit their travel to Europe in the coming year.
- 34 percent of Americans are planning to engage in an educational activity on vacation this year, such as a cooking or art class, up from 28 percent, last year.
- 48 percent of travelers are likely to visit a spa while on vacation in 2008 and 13 percent will go on a dedicated spa vacation this year.
- 80 percent of travelers are concerned about germs, bacteria and viruses while traveling.
- 78 percent of travelers believe that cell phones should not be allowed on flights.