The Macau government said on Tuesday it is preparing fresh arrangements for its containment of Covid-19 infection in the city, via what it calls a “consolidation phase”, though it didn’t give specific details, other than a health official subsequently saying such a period might last two weeks.
The authorities indicated the city might enter such a phase this Saturday (July 23), though they didn’t give any guarantee. By Friday, the city will have had a nearly two-week shutdown of non-essential businesses, including casinos.
The consolidation phase had been generally categorized as where there was only a low number daily, of fresh infection cases identified in the community. Then it might be possible for business activities in Macau to resume on a selective basis.
Leong Iek Hou, a senior official of the city’s Health Bureau, said at a Tuesday press briefing of Macau’s Novel Coronavirus Response and Coordination Centre, that the local authorities were “hopeful” that Macau could enter the “consolidation phase” by Saturday (July 23), saying that stage might last two weeks. She added that if the number of new cases found in the community remained low, the new phase of containment “could happen as planned.”
Ms Leong also said the government would make an official announcement later on the specifics of the new phase of containment of the current outbreak.
Read original article