The number of visitors to Hong Kong was estimated to drop about 14 percent in 2019, Dane Cheng, executive director of the Hong Kong Tourism Board, said Saturday.
After a sharper decline in November, the number of visitors to Hong Kong was likely to stand at 56 million for the entire 2019, Cheng said in a TV program, adding that the last yearly decline was seen in 2016.
The tourism sector in Hong Kong took the major blow of prolonged social unrest in the second half of 2019 as escalated violent incidents seriously disrupted transport and scared off visitors.
Hong Kong received 14 percent more visitors in the first six months last year, setting a new record, but violent incidents, in particular, those related to two Hong Kong universities, resulted in a 39-percent drop in visitors in the July-December period, Cheng said.
Read Original Article