Online travel company Orbitz and online group travel planning and collaboration site TripHub have formed a strategic partnership. (7/11/2007)
Orbitz is the only major online travel agency to exclusively feature and promote TripHub’s planning and community tools. The service will also be featured on various Orbitz microsites, including its family travel (http://family.orbitz.com), unmanaged business travel (http://roadwarrior.orbitz.com), and auto racing (http://racing.orbitz.com) sites.
TripHub’s service on Orbitz (http://orbitz.triphub.com) will help groups more easily plan, coordinate, and share trips such as bachelor parties, spa vacations, reunions, weddings, trips with clubs and teams or any event that involves coordinated travel.
The service is free to use. Customers will see offers from Orbitz and can shop and purchase on Orbitz.com from these planning tools.
According to a recent Forrester Research report, 46 percent of online US leisure travelers took at least one “group” trip in the past 12 months.
“Whether its a buddy trip to Las Vegas or a family reunion in Orlando, Orbitz now will help groups communicate and coordinate what can be complex travel plans,” said Steve Barnhart, CEO and President, Orbitz Worldwide, Inc. “Our partnership with TripHub brings together best-in-class planning and community technology, with Orbitz’ premier booking capabilities and inventory.”
“Orbitz is keeping our customers a step ahead by integrating the tools and service that people need when planning group travel,” said Randy Wagner, Chief Marketing Officer, Orbitz Worldwide. “Many customers want the same control they have now in booking two to four person trips in setting up larger travel events, where communicating and sharing with friends, colleagues or family is key - and now Orbitz is the only major online travel agency to provide that combined functionality.”
Features of the new service include:
· Personalised “Trip” pages for sharing all trip information
· Invitation and RSVP tracking
· Trip blogs that enable collaboration on decisions and allow customers to share their experiences with their group
· Schedule of events so everyone knows what’s happening, when, and where
· Group messaging functionality that allows trip organisers and their guests to send messages to each other and keep a central record of all trip communications
· Shared trip maps to help group members view accommodations and scheduled activities in relation to each other
· Driving directions between any two locations
· Itinerary sharing features that allow customers to share their plans, shop for travel, and collaborate on purchase decisions
This deal is TripHub’s third and most significant private label relationship. Other strategic partners are Alaska Airlines and People to People Student Ambassador Programs.