New tool for customising Google Maps
Google has released a new feature of Google Maps that enables users to layer valuable third-party information directly on Google Maps with a single click and to save these customised maps to their personal library. (7/13/2007)
These mini-applications, called Mapplets, make it possible for users to view and layer maps containing information such as real estate listings, jogging trails, events and photos.
Citing an example, Google shared that users who are planning a vacation can now view and layer maps of hotel availability, regional weather forecasts, gas prices and other useful information directly in Google Maps. Once they have created their custom map, they can create their own personalised itinerary by saving the results, adding their own notes, and putting it on a map to share with family and friends. Users looking for a new home can not only search real estate listings, but they can also layer their findings over transit maps and crime statistics to further refine their search.
These new tools can be found in the Google Maps Directory. The directory is accessed by clicking on the “Add content” link in the “My Maps” tab in Google Maps. Users simply click on the “Add it to Maps” buttons within the directory to bookmark relevant content.
Over 100 Mapplets are currently featured in the Google Maps Directory:
· Hotel pricing and availability from Orbitz and Booking.com
· Enlarge image Live, local weather conditions and traffic cameras from WeatherBug
· Worldwide webcams from Webcams.travel
· Things to do and local events from Zvents
· Gas prices from GasBuddy.com
Google has also developed several Mapplets:
· Google Real Estate Search -- Find rentals and homes for sale in the US; this Mapplet draws from listings in Google Base
· YouTube Videos -- Watch recently uploaded YouTube videos from around the globe
· Photos from Panoramio -- See photos of locations from Panoramio.com while you browse Google Maps
This new functionality is available for Google Maps users in the US, the UK, Canada, Australia, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Netherlands, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden and Russia. It is available in the following languages: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish, Russian and Chinese (TW).