Occupancy rate of China Lodging Group reaches 80.4% in Q1 2016
In the first quarter of 2016, the company's ADR was RMB172 and RevPAR was RMB139. The occupancy rate for all hotels in operation (excluding certain franchised Starway hotels) was 80.4%.
China Lodging Group ("HuaZhu" or the "Company"), a leading and fast-growing multi-brand hotel group in China, today announced its unaudited financial results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2016.
Operational Highlights of First Quarter 2016
1. During the first quarter of 2016, the Company completed the transaction for strategic alliance with AccorHotels. Pursuant to this transaction, 96 hotels were merged to HuaZhu's platform.
2. During the first quarter of 2016, including both organic growth and strategic alliance, the Company added 11 net leased ("leased-and-operated") and owned hotels, 215 net manachised ("franchised-and-managed") and franchised hotels. As of March 31, 2016, the Company had 627 leased and owned hotels, 2,189 manachised hotels, and 173 franchised hotels in operation in 356 cities. The number of hotel rooms in operation increased by 34% from a year ago.
3. As of March 31, 2016, the Company had 25 leased hotels and 607 manachised and franchised hotels contracted or under construction.
4. The ADR, which is defined as the average daily rate for all hotels in operation (excluding certain franchised Starway hotels), was RMB172 in the first quarter of 2016, compared with RMB168 in the first quarter of 2015 and RMB177 in the previous quarter. The year-over-year increase of 2.5% was due to more favorable brand mix with an increased proportion of midscale and upscale hotels. The sequential decrease mainly resulted from seasonality.
5. The occupancy rate for all hotels in operation (excluding certain franchised Starway hotels) was 80.4% in the first quarter of 2016, compared with 81.6% in the first quarter of 2015 and 84.3% in the previous quarter. The year-over-year decrease was mainly due to lower occupancy in lower-tier cities. The sequential decrease resulted mainly from seasonality.
6. RevPAR, defined as revenue per available room for all hotels in operation (excluding certain franchised Starway hotels), was RMB139 in the first quarter of 2016, compared with RMB137 in the first quarter of 2015 and RMB149 in the previous quarter. The year-over-year increase was mainly attributable to the higher ADR. The sequential decrease resulted mainly from seasonality.
7. For all hotels which had been in operation for at least 18 months (excluding certain franchised Starway hotels), the same-hotel RevPAR was RMB142 for the first quarter of 2016, representing a 0.3% year-over-year decrease, with a 0.8% increase in ADR and a 0.9-percentage-point decrease in occupancy rate. The midscale and upscale hotels registered an 8.8% same-hotel RevPAR improvement, with a 5.0% increase in ADR and 2.8-percentage-point increase in occupancy rate.
8. As of March 31, 2016, the Company's loyalty program had approximately 55.3 million members, who contributed more than 85% of room nights sold during the first quarter of 2016. In the first quarter of 2016, approximately 87% of room nights were sold through the Company's own channels. The higher percentage of room nights sold through travel agents channels in the first quarter was due to increase utilization of lower costs OTA sales channels during the low season.
"We are pleased with our start to the year with a set of higher-than-expected results. Our net revenues achieved 18.8% year-over-year growth while adjusted EBITDA grew by 71.1% for the first quarter. This was mainly driven by increased contributions from JI Hotel, HanTing 2.0 and Hi Inn that recorded significant same hotel RevPAR increase of 10%, 8% and 6%, respectively." said Ms. Jenny Zhang, Chief Executive Officer of China Lodging Group.
"Our brands remain popular in the market. HanTing Hotel, our flagship brand, re-designed and upgraded in 2015, continues to be favored by our customers and franchisees. HanTing Hotel has a pipeline of 271 hotels and JI Hotel, a leading midscale hotel brand has 105 hotels in the pipeline. In the first quarter, we welcomed 5 brands ranging from economy to upscale segments through our strategic alliance with AccorHotels. We believe our strong capability in development and execution will further strengthen our leading position as an industry consolidator." Ms. Zhang added.
Guidance for Second Quarter of 2016
For the second quarter of 2016, the Company expects net revenues to grow 12% to 15% year-over-year.
The above forecast reflects the Company's current and preliminary view, which is subject to change.